Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Junk Journal: Covers

Often when I am making books I like to use tissue paper, paint and Matte Medium on heavy weight paper to make my covers. I find that the layers of paint and tissue paper make it sturdy and give it texture.

To determine the size of cover you need measure your widest and tallest pages that will go inside your book. Mine happened to be 8" x 9 1/2" I added 1/4" to the top and bottom and ONE side. This way my cover is for sure going to be larger then any page. I only add 1/4" to one side because when I hole punch my pages they will be lined up right against the back edge of the cover. I cut two pieces of light weight cardboard        8 1/4" x 10" for my front and back cover.


After I have my cover cut out I continue to add paint, bits of tissue paper, and Matte Medium until I get a look I like. Yes it really is that simple and you really can't screw it up!


After you are happy with your covers you can spray them with paints and dyes, add stamps and all sorts of other things to create the look you want for your journal. Trim off extra tissue paper from edges. 

I hole punched my covers at this point and added a quote to my front cover. If your not sure what to do on your cover at this stage you can always come back and embellish it later.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment